Sentinel Literary Quarterly
The Magazine of World Literature. ISSN 1753-6499 (Online)
Sentinel Literary Quarterly Poetry Competition
Closing date: 30-November-2018
The Sentinel Literary Quarterly Poetry Competition has been successfully organised since July 2009 offering publishing opportunities for the winning, commended and specially-mentioned poems in Sentinel Literary Quarterly magazine (online & in print) plus cash prizes.
Details: This competition is for original, previously unpublished poems in English language, on any subject, in any style up to 50 lines long. Poems posted on members-only non-public groups for review/critique as part of the creative process are not deemed to have been previously published. Poets of all ages, gender or nationality living in any part of the world are eligible to enter.
Prizes: £250 (1st), £100 (2nd), £50 (3rd), £30 x 3 (High Commendation), £15 x 3 (Commendation), 3 x Special Mentions (publication only)
Fees £4/1, £7/2, £9/3, £11/4, £12/5, £16/7, £22/10)
Results: 15th January, 2019
Publication: Prize-winning, commended and specially mentioned poems will receive first publication in Sentinel Literary Quarterly magazine (online and print) January - March 2019 issue.
Judge: Dominic James has put aside other writing for the last 10 years to concentrate on poetry. He has been published at home and abroad, his collection, Pilgrim Station was published by SPM Publications in 2016. While he performs mainly in the South, Dominic was in Liverpool as a prize winner in last year’s Wirral, Festival of Firsts. This Summer & Autumn he has been published in OWP, High Window, Nine Muses Poetry, Poetry Shed and Ekphrastic Review. He is currently shortlisted for the Wexford Literary Prize. As Dominic’s second appearance as judge of our Quarterly Competition, he would like to reassure entrants he is happy to consider verse/metrical writing in any form and, as many judges declare, he hopes to see the poets’ best work.
HOW TO ENTER
1. Poems must be in English, unpublished, and not accepted for future publication elsewhere (before the due date of results).
2. Poems should be typed and must be no longer than 50 lines (excluding title).
3. Any number of poems may be entered on payment of the applicable fees. Cheques and postal orders in GB Pound Sterling only should be made payable to SENTINEL POETRY MOVEMENT.
4. Each poem should be on a separate sheet, which should not include the name of the author.
5. The author’s name and address should be provided on an accompanying Entry Form or Cover Note.
6. The winners and commended writers will be notified by post or e-mail.
7. All winning and commended poems will appear in the Sentinel Champions section of Sentinel Literary Quarterly online and in print.
8. To receive a copy of the results, please enclose an s.a.e. marked ‘SLQ Poetry November 2018 Results’. The Results will be published at www.sentinelquarterly.com/competitions/results.htm
9. Poems will not be returned, please do not send your only copy.
10. If you win one of the prizes in this quarter’s competition, you will NOT be prohibited from entering next quarter’s competition.
11. If on the advice of the judge, the quality of entries is too low to produce worthy prize winners, or any other legitimate reason beyond our control arises which may affect a fair completion or conduct of the competition, we reserve the right to cancel the competition and refund all entry fees immediately by the same method we have been paid.
12. We reserve the right to reapportion the prize money if necessary in the interest of continuity as an alternative to cancellation of the competition.
13. By entering this competition, you provide some information such as your address and e-mail address which may be deemed personal information. These will be processed according to the data protection acts1998 and 2002 and GPPR 2018. We will never pass on any detail you provide in the course of entering this competition to a third party and we will never sell your data to anyone for marketing purposes.
14. By entering this competition, you agree that we may contact you by e-mail or post via our newsletter with the results of the competition, the adjudicator’s reports and information on future competitions. You may unsubscribe from the newsletter at any time.
15. Copyright of all poems submitted will remain with the authors but the Sentinel Poetry Movement reserves the right to publish all winning and commended poems.
16. The contents of Sentinel Literary Quarterly are available to read at no cost online, we are therefore unable to offer complimentary copies to poets published in the magazine.
17. Please only submit your own original work.
18. The adjudicator’s decision will be final and no correspondence can be entered into.
19. We use independent judges who do not work for Sentinel Poetry Movement or SPM publications, and we never influence their choices.
20. Postal entries should be sent to: Sentinel Poetry Movement, Unit 136, 113-115 George Lane, South Woodford, London E18 1AB. Online entries should be sent to email@example.com
21. The submission of poems for the Prize will be taken as indicating acceptance of the above conditions.
Enter online now
Other Sentinel Competitions
Sentinel Poetry Book Competition 2018
The 4th Sentinel Poetry Book Competition (For full length poetry collections) to be judged by Noel Williams This competition is now closed
The winning collections will be published by SPM Publications
If you would like to receive information on Sentinel writing competitions and publishing opportunities click here to join our mailing list
Results of the August 2018 Poetry competition have been announced Here
The January - March 2018 issue of Sentinel Literary Quarterly features the winning, commended and specially-mentioned poems from our November 2017 poetry competition judged by Abegail Morley. Read it online at no cost now or buy a hard copy. (Support Sentinel by buying a copy or two of the magazine) at www.sentinelquarterly.com
To receive the results by email Join our Mailing List here.
Prize fund for Sentinel Literary Quarterly Poetry Competition increased to £535 from May 2018 competition
First Prize: Now £250.00 (was £200)
Second Prize: £100.00 (No change)
Third Prize: £50.00 (No change)
High Commendation: £30 x 3 (was £20 x 3)
Commendation: £15 x 3 (was £10 x 3)
Please note: The prize money above applies to competition organised from May 2018 onwards. If your work places in the just closed February 2018 competition, you will receive the advertised prize for that competition i.e. £200 (1st prize), £100 (2nd prize), £50 (3rd prize), £20 x 3 (high commendation) and £10 x 3 (commendation).
All winning and commended poems and short stories receive first publication in Sentinel Literary Quarterly (Online)
The Sentinel Literary Quarterly Poetry Competition is open to writers of all nationalities living in any part of the world.
Since 2009 we have received entries and had winners and commended authors from the United Kingdom, USA, Australia, France, Canada, Nigeria, Israel, Spain and other countries.