Sentinel Literary Quarterly
The Magazine of World Literature. ISSN 1753-6499 (Online)
Sentinel Literary Quarterly Poetry Competition
Closing date: 31st October, 2020
Details: This competition is for original, previously unpublished poems in English language, on any subject, in any style up to 50 lines long. Visual poem are welcome as long as the image fits into a single page. Poems posted on members-only non-public groups for review/critique as part of the creative process are not deemed to have been previously published. Poets of all ages, gender or nationality living in any part of the world are eligible to enter.
Judge: Roger Elkin is the author of 12 poetry collections including Pricking out, No laughing matter, Points of Reference, Bird in the Hand, Chance Meetings, Dog's Eye View, Fixing Things, Marking Time and Sheer Poetry (September 2020). Elkin has won over 250 prizes and places – 61 firsts – in national and international poetry competitions.
Prizes: £250 (1st), £100 (2nd), £50 (3rd), £30 x 3 (High Commendation), £15 x (Commendation), 3 x SLQ Paperback (Special Mentions)
First Prize winner will also be entered into the The Forward Prize for Best Single Poem 2021 for a chance to win £1,000.00
Fees £5/1, £8/2, £10/3, £12/4, £14/5, £16/7, £22/10)
HOW TO ENTER
Results: 30 November, 2020
Publication: Prize-winning, commended and specially mentioned poems will receive first publication in Sentinel Literary Quarterly magazine (online and print).
1. Poems must be in English, unpublished, and not accepted for future publication elsewhere (before the due date of results).
2. Poems should be typed and must be no longer than 50 lines (excluding title).
3. Any number of poems may be entered on payment of the applicable fees. Cheques and postal orders in GB Pound Sterling only should be made payable to SPM Publications Ltd
4. Each poem should be on a separate sheet, which should not include the name of the author.
5. The author’s name and address should be provided on an accompanying Entry Form or Cover Note.
6. The winners and commended writers will be notified by post or e-mail.
7. All winning and commended poems will appear in the Sentinel Champions section of Sentinel Literary Quarterly online and in print.
8. The Results will be published at www.sentinelquarterly.com/competitions/results.htm
9. Poems will not be returned, please do not send your only copy.
10. If you win one of the prizes in this quarter’s competition, you will NOT be prohibited from entering next quarter’s competition.
11. If on the advice of the judge, the quality of entries is too low to produce worthy prize winners, or any other legitimate reason beyond our control arises which may affect a fair completion or conduct of the competition, we reserve the right to cancel the competition and refund all entry fees immediately by the same method we have been paid.
12. We reserve the right to reapportion the prize money if necessary in the interest of continuity as an alternative to cancellation of the competition.
13. By entering this competition, you provide some information such as your address and e-mail address which may be deemed personal information. These will be processed according to the data protection acts1998 and 2002 and GPPR 2018. We will never pass on any detail you provide in the course of entering this competition to a third party and we will never sell your data to anyone for marketing purposes.
14. By entering this competition, you agree that we may contact you by e-mail or post via our newsletter with the results of the competition, the adjudicator’s reports and information on future competitions. You may unsubscribe from the newsletter at any time.
15. Copyright of all poems submitted will remain with the authors but the Sentinel Poetry Movement reserves the right to publish all winning and commended poems.
16. The contents of Sentinel Literary Quarterly are available to read at no cost online, we are therefore unable to offer complimentary copies to poets published in the magazine.
17. Please only submit your own original work.
18. The adjudicator’s decision will be final and no correspondence can be entered into.
19. We use independent judges who do not work for Sentinel Poetry Movement or SPM publications, and we never influence their choices.
20. Postal entries should be sent to: The Competition Administrator, Sentinel Literary Quarterly, 120 Warland Road, London SE18 2ET. Online entries should be sent to email@example.com
21. The submission of poems for the Prize will be taken as indicating acceptance of the above conditions.
If you would like to receive information on Sentinel writing competitions and publishing opportunities click here to join our mailing list
About Sentinel Literary Quarterly Poetry Competition
This Competition has been successfully organised since July 2009, offering publishing opportunities for the winning, commended and specially-mentioned poems in Sentinel Literary Quarterly magazine (online & in print) plus cash prizes.
Past First Prize winners include:
Kathleen Strafford (Jul 2020)
Cheryl Pearson (Mar/Apr 2020
Christopher M. James (Nov 2019)
David Duncombe (Aug 2019)
Steve Xerri (May 2019)
Peter Wyton (Feb 2019)
Catherine Rose (Nov 2018)
A.C. Clarke (Aug 2018)
Robbie Frazer (May 2018)
Karen Morash (Feb 2018)
Mary Anne Smith (Nov 2017)
Noel Williams (Aug 2017)
David Canning (May 2017)
Pat Borthwick (Feb 2017)
Jackie Wills (Nov 2016)
Lesley Burt (Aug 2016)
Jocelyn Simms (May 2016)
Bruce Marsland (Feb 2016)
Andrea Holland (Nov 2015)
Camilla Lambert (Aug 2015)
Julian Dobson (May 2015)
Kate Gething-Smith (Febr 2015)
Mike Bannister (Nov 2014)
Philip Burton (Aug 2014)
Mark Totterdell (May 2014)
Jen Campbell (Feb 2014)
Jason Lytollis (Sep 2013)
Paul McDonald (Jun 2013)
Jim Bennett (Mar 2013)
Daniel Knibb (Dec '12/Jan 2013)
Terry Jones (Sep 2012)
Roger Elkin (July 2012)
Oz Hardwick (April 2012)
Bob Beagrie (January 2012)
Lynn Roberts (Oct 2011),
Jenny Donnison (Jul 2011)
Ellie Evans (Apr 2011)
Cass Iskandr (Jan 2011)
Nicholas Y.B. Wong (Oct 2010)
Kate Horsley (Jul 2010)
Christian Ward (Apr 2010),
Noel Williams (January 2010)
Akinlabi Peter (Oct 2009)
Miles Salter (Jul 2009)
All winning and commended poems and short stories receive first publication in Sentinel Literary Quarterly (Online)
The Sentinel Literary Quarterly Poetry Competition is open to writers of all nationalities living in any part of the world.